Friday, March 24, 2017

Goodnight, What Day Was It?

Friday, really? When you are working all the time, you tend to lose track of the days. The days, and weeks, and months all start to meld together in one big clump of work. Luckily, I love what I do, and my life's work has proven that; I have worked on this cause tirelessly for many years. I can go to sleep at night knowing I did good work and feeling like I have served in my life's mission. Service is important. I'd rather give than take, that's what makes me happy. And I am blessed to have found my calling.

However, when you do what I do, you don't get the weekends off. Fridays don't really mean much in terms of getting any time off. Even when I do take vacations, I'm tweeting or blogging it, or searching animal rights news for things to share and get involved in. I'm happy with what I do, but you know what I miss? This...

I miss outside.

I mean, I go outside, I'm not a vampire, but I don't spend nearly as much time outdoors as I would like. Maybe I'm feeling this way because the weather is still wintry, but even then, many of us don't get enough outdoors time. Not like when we were kids. I used to be outside all day long when I was a child. In college, I used to try to convince my professors to hold class outdoors on the lawn, somewhere nice and grassy on campus. Sometimes they listened, but not as much as I wanted. I even campaigned when I was working in the corporate world, to bring our desks outside - the outcome of that was, my bosses thought I was nuts. I told them we'd be more productive, we'd have a more positive outlook - nope, they were against the idea.Why don't people want to be outside anymore?

My goal for the deep spring, I say deep spring because it is far too cold right now in New England, is to bring my laptop outside and work there more. When I'm creating vegan recipes, that isn't always going to work, but I would like to do more writing and photography outside feeling the warm sun on my skin and the cool breeze on my face. I also think we should walk barefoot more often - feel the plush grass beneath our feet and connect with the earth more.

Do you spend a lot of time outside and what are your favorite outdoor activities when you peel yourself away from your desk?

No comments:

Post a Comment