Sunday, October 9, 2011

MoFo Du Jour? Roasted Butternut Squash!

"Bittersweet October. The mellow, messy, leaf-kicking, perfect pause between the opposing miseries of summer and winter." -Carol Bishop Hipps


I haven't met many people who don't favor, or at the very least, appreciate fall. It is such a wonderful season, especially in New England. As a writer, vegan chef, and baker, I love all seasons, especially autumn! Autumn allows me to do what I do best, sit in big cushy chairs, at home or at coffee shops, work on my literary projects, and also bake and cook to my heart's content! The heat of the summer is no longer a challenge to me. As a vegan chef, I do indeed enjoy all seasons, especially for what they can bring to my culinary creativity. However, autumn is in my heart all year long. This next recipe can be enjoyed other times of the year, but I'm sure you will treasure this in the fall, as do I. Just the smell of this squash roasting in the oven, lifts the spirits and sends comfort and holiday feelings all throughout the home. Now, that is what I love about what I do!



Fall For My 'Buttery Maple Roasted Butternut Squash' Recipe

1 butternut squash
2 tbsp olive oil
sea salt & pepper to taste
2 tbsp vegan butter (like Earth Balance), melted
2 tbsp pure maple syrup

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Clean and dry your squash then cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds then drizzle with olive oil. Spread olive oil into the flesh side. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then place squash fleshy side down, in a baking pan. Roast for 45- 60 minutes, or until squash can be easily pierced all the way through. Carefully remove from oven and turn over, fleshy side up (a good quality pair of tongs and using oven mitts works well for turning these over). Mix melted vegan butter and maple syrup together in a small bowl. Then drizzle that all over the fleshy cut part of the squash. Roast for an additional 5 more minutes. You can scoop this out when it cools some, mash, or serve it right out of the skin (like I did)! Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment