Sunday, April 17, 2011

Great Vegan Balls of Fire!

"By the way, it says balls on your face." -Garden State


I adapted this recipe from Zuzana and Freddie of BodyRock.Tv's Protein Balls Recipe (Schweddy Balls hehe). I made some changes and I will tell you why. I did not find the need to add extra protein powder this time because this recipe already has a decent amount, especially between the peanut butter and almonds (also my lunch before this snack included a Tofurky sausage which has 29g protein and Morningstar Farms Chick'n Griller which has 9g protein - so I'm good). I substituted the protein powder for flax, but also left enough moisture in the recipe to be able to add the optional protein, for when you feel like having it that way. The days I need the protein boost I will definitely do that. Also, I see in Zuzana and Freddie's recipe they used golden raisins, I used traditional ones because those are all I could find in the supermarket that day that did not contain sulfites or preservatives; I think both types would taste delicious in these balls. I also give the optional Vega/ protein powder variation to ensure it is vegan. If you are using a protein powder, be sure to read the back and make sure whey, honey, or any other animal ingredients are not snuck in. To be on the safe-side, with health products like these, I always read the list carefully and find a "vegan" icon or the word "vegan" somewhere on the packaging. I have been doing that automatically for years, but it is also a great tip for new vegans as well, to get you into a good habit during your label checks. Please enjoy these balls, I did!

Get Your Workout On With My 'Vegan Energy Balls' Recipe


2 tbsp peanut butter (I used Whole Food's 365 brand)
2 tbsp agave nectar
3 tbsp flaxseed, ground
2 tbsp shredded coconut (I used Edward & Sons Let's Go Organic)
1 tbsp almond slices (buy them this way, please don't try to slice almonds at home folks)
1 tbsp raisins
(optional) 1 tbsp flavored vegan protein powder (like Vega)


Combine all ingredients together in a bowl. Form into 3 balls. Refrigerate to allow them to set. Keep refrigerated until you are ready to eat them. Enjoy these yummy balls!


Zuzana's abs - I pretend these are really just painted on


This one is for my pals Zuzana and Freddie over at BodyRock.Tv, keep up the great work! I believe I will turn the world's diet healthy with compassion and you guys will get the world fit!

DV Readers, what to you do for fitness, if anything? How does everyone manage to find time to fit in a workout in this fast paced society that we live in today? Comment below or tell me on my Facebook Page or Twitter Page. Have a Dirty day, Folks!

4 comments:

  1. awesome! had to do a double take when i saw bodyrock.tv in the title! i LOVE LOVE LOVE zuzana and freddy... i visit both yours and their website daily and i got so excited to see the incorporation! gotta try this recipe soon... do you use the vega powder on a regular basis? i've been browsing the internet and stores for some sort of protein powder and it can get a little overwhelming (i dont feel like i really NEED the extra protein b/c i do eat a wide variety of foods that pretty much cover all my nutritional bases, but somedays are just too short on time to eat properly ya know?)... vega seems like its the most perfect blend of everything, but its quite pricy. for the moment i have a hemp protein powder that a friend let me try out... the hemp mixes do seem to be much more reasonably priced than some other options... was just wondering if you have any input or advice on the subject!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome! Thanks so much! :D

    I just started using Vega from a reader recommendation and I agree with you, what a perfect blend! Seems to incorporate everything, even probiotics and enzymes into a vegan protein powder, which is impressive. I definitely noticed the cost also, to try the flavors I picked up the single serving pouches at Whole Foods which was something like $2.79 per pouch and I'm still trying to decide which protein powder will be my new fave these days. I was using Trader Joe's hemp, but same here on the protein thing. Really vegan food is packed with protein that it is only necessary to have a shake for convenience on those hectic days (or for me, also the days I do extra working out and feel that I need the extra). I will be trying some more protein powders in the future, stay tuned for that. But for now, with Vega, I am liking their flavor combos like Vanilla Spice and things like that, which really attract and hook a DV ;0) Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for your input! i like the idea of those single serving packs and may just pick up a couple of those to give it a try for those few days a month where i feel i need it instead of spending $50.00+ on a big jar of it. vega seems like they have some yummy flavors as compared to the hemp which can be a little...um... earthy-ish?
    i look foward to hearing if you try out any more powders in the future! :)
    keep bodyrocking! lol!

    ReplyDelete