Friday, February 17, 2012

It's All Greek to Me

"I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning, what the rest of us said last night." -Greek Proverb

The Greeks are pretty smart. And they just so happen to be a culture as obsessed with food as us Italian folks. So I took a traditional Greek dish, veganized it, and possibly slightly Italianized it. Sorry to all my Greek friends, its in my blood and I can't help being Italian in everything that I do.

About the dish: this is my vegan take on a Greek dish called Kotopoulo me Bamies, or otherwise known as "Chicken" and Okra Stew. Its pretty delicious and I'm quite addicted to the simplicity of the ingredients as well as the mega-amazing taste! I tried this two ways, as stew and also over brown rice. It was really yummy either way, but I liked having it without the rice for a real stew experience. Read on to find out how you too can easily be eating vegan Greek food in practically no time! Sta arxidia mou!


DV's Greek Inspired "Chick'n" and Okra Stew

2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 sweet potato, cubed
26 oz tomato sauce
2/3 cup water
2 cups okra, cut
10.5 oz vegan "chick'n" strips (I used Gardein's Mandarin Orange Crispy minus the sauce packet - the texture of this product is perfect for what I wanted in this dish!)
1/2 lemon (just the juice squeezed from it)
Sea salt & pepper to taste

Heat olive oil in large skillet on medium heat. Saute onion, garlic, and sweet potato for about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then add tomato sauce, water, and okra and heat for a few moments until thoroughly combined. Add "chick'n" strips and squeezed lemon juice, simmer on medium-low heat for about 15- 20 minutes, or until potatoes are soft (time will also depend on how small you cube them). Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve as stew or over rice, noodles, pasta or with bread. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment