Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Fast, Fun, & Delish, High Protein Snack

"We are indeed much more than what we eat, but what we eat can nevertheless help us to be much more than what we are." -Adelle Davis


Here is a fun and fast snack idea that I eat all the time, especially when I know my body needs some protein. This can be a great pre or post workout snack, or just a fun way to "indulge" because these roll-ups taste seriously naughty. Have fun!

Tofurky Roll-Ups

What you will need:

5 slices of Tofurky Deli Slices (I used Hickory Smoked)
2- 4 tbsp hummus (I used garlic flavor with little bits of fresh garlic in it)
1/2 tomato, cut into 5 wedges
fresh herbs (optional)

Step 1: Lay out Tofurky slices.
Step 2: Place dollops of hummus and tomato wedges in the center of the slices.

Step 3: Roll up using hummus to stick slices together and top exposed hummus with fresh herbs. I used dill.

Cool Variations of this snack:

-Use avocado instead of tomato
-Use bell pepper instead of tomato to add some crunch to this snack
-Use different types of deli slices and hummus for some variety

Comment below or holler at me on Twitter and Facebook if you have any neat suggestions for variations of this snack. I love hearing them!

Protein Breakdown:

5 Tofurky Deli Slices - 13g
2- 4 tbsp hummus - 2 to 4g (depending on brand)
1/2 tomato - 1g (depending on size/ type)

So....
My snack that I just ate contained a total 18g of protein. Quite good for just a mid-morning snack, especially since I eat vegan protein with each meal. Feel free to share this post with anyone who thinks that plant based diets equate to lack of protein. Dirty Vegans are definitely proof that we love our food, and we don't skimp! Hope you can fit a fun roll-up into your day (or at least your week)! And for now, the Dirty Vegan is signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment