Saturday, March 8, 2014

I'm in the Vegan Jerky of the Month Club!

As promised in my FakeMeats.com post, I'm sharing the juicy meaty details of my Jerky of the Month Club package. I hurried to my mailbox and clutched the little brown box, stamped with the FakeMeats.com logo, with champion-football-player-like speed and dexterity, and rushed inside to tear it open. As I opened my precious package, I suddenly heard music from the heavens - just kidding. What I did notice was a box runneth over with vegan jerky; my taste buds began to water and my mind flooded with sweet childhood memories of eating jerky with my little brother. It is true; I thought it was just an urban myth. Vegan jerky indeed exists and you can get it in a neat little variety package every month from FakeMeats.com, as a Jerky of the Month club member. For just $15.00 per month, all of your jerky dreams can finally come true! Your package may just look something like this...

Ain't she a beauty?

The first jerky that I tried was Stonewall's Jerquee in Original Wild flavor. They looked like little nuggets of deliciousness. The first bite felt just a tad bit spongy, but then the wicked flavorful and spicy taste totally redeemed any textural concerns. I want this flavor in my life every single day. Enough said. Or is it? This 1.5 ounce serving is 14 grams of protein! What a delightful way to get your protein boost. Now, enough has been said. Love it.


The next jerky that I tried was by Vegan Dream in Teriyaki flavor. I wasn't crazy about the packaging, but the flavor was great and the texture was very much like the jerky that I remember. This is the jerky that you can take with you hiking, snack on during a sports game, munch on while sitting by a campfire, or any time that you have a few minutes to chew. This is not really an on-the-go jerky.You have to have time to chew and enjoy this. Also, not great for sharing unless you have a pair of culinary scissors with you. That is fine; more for me!


I'll tell you what is good for getting a protein fix when you're in a rush, Primal Strips. They are easy to eat, taste delicious, come in a lot of great flavors, and pack a big protein punch for a small amount of calories, 10 grams to be exact. I tried these in flavors Hot & Spicy and Texas BBQ. Hot & Spicy had a really great flavor but wasn't overly hot. It also had a Slim Jim quality to it, in texture and flavor. Texas BBQ was pleasantly smoky and reminded me of camping. The flavors were having a party in my mouth! These are great to take camping, hiking, to the office for an easy to scarf down snack, or pretty much to enjoy anywhere at anytime. These were great!


I saved the superstar for last. Louisville Vegan Jerky in Bourbon Smoked Black Pepper Jerky flavor. This jerky comes in a clever resealable package, has a complex and mighty-yummy flavor, and the texture was awesome. This is a cross between the Vegan Dream and the Hot & Spicy Primal Strip, in regards to texture. As far as flavor goes, it tasted like a typical jerky should taste. It was convenient to eat and share, came in a package that allows you to save some for later (yeah right, if you can resist eating the entire bag), and has a whopping 12- 15 grams of protein per bag! Yummy in my vegan tummy!

I am super excited to receive next's month Jerky of the Month Club shipment from my friends at FakeMeats.com! I wonder what jerky variety I will get! I will be sure to share that with you when it arrives! And for now, the Dirty Vegan is signing off. Vegan nom noms from this vegan Jerk!

2 comments:

  1. Personally I just joined the Louisville Vegan Jerky monthly club. I've tried Primal Jerky and did not like it the texture and flavor both weren't very good. Anyhow the Louisville Jerky club comes with 2 of their normal flavor bags and 1 test flavor. I have yet to receive my package so can't say what kind of secret test flavors they have yet but can say last months was sweet pineapple which sounds quite good so I'm hoping they have some more good test flavors to come. I've tried neither Stonewall's nor Vegan Dream so can't tell us how they are though I'm doubting they're anywhere near as good as Louisville Jerky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally I just joined the Louisville Vegan Jerky monthly club. I've tried Primal Jerky and did not like it the texture and flavor both weren't very good. Anyhow the Louisville Jerky club comes with 2 of their normal flavor bags and 1 test flavor. I have yet to receive my package so can't say what kind of secret test flavors they have yet but can say last months was sweet pineapple which sounds quite good so I'm hoping they have some more good test flavors to come. I've tried neither Stonewall's nor Vegan Dream so can't tell us how they are though I'm doubting they're anywhere near as good as Louisville Jerky.

    ReplyDelete