I wanted to get this recipe posted as soon as possible since, as you all know, I am pregnant and the baby is expected to be delivered by the stork around Easter. And this is an Italian Easter-time recipe. This will give you plenty of time to plan to make this for your holiday meal.
Growing up, this traditional Italian Easter-time recipe is one that my grandparents and parents had always made in the non-vegan version. I wanted to make a vegan version to have in my family and have something special that we can look forward to this time of year. My husband and I have a tradition of eating a vegan version of an Irish dish that he grew up with, so it will be nice to include an Italian dish for Easter and have both traditions for our child to enjoy both sides of her heritage. For dessert, we always decide on something new to make together each year. Sometimes it is an "ice cream" pie, cupcakes, or a cake. Depending on how much time that we have this year, we may just buy a vegan cake from the bakery. So here is my take on the Italian Easter "Ham" Pie, aka Pizzagaina! I hope you enjoy this with good health and good company!
Italian Rustic Easter "Ham" Pie also known as Vegan Pizzagaina
What you will need:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup vegan buttery spread (I used Earth Balance)
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 lb silken tofu
- 2 Tofurky sausages, diced
- 5.5 ounce package deli "ham" slices, diced (dice the chunk right out of the package, do not separate slices)
- Half of 5.5 ounce package Tofurky bologna syle slices, diced (dice the chunk right out of the package, do not separate slices)
- 1 cup Daiya mozarella style shreds
- 1/4 cup Daiya cheddar cheese wedge, chopped
- 1/4 cup Daiya jack cheese wedge, chopped
- 1/4 cup Daiya havarti cheese wedge, chopped
What you will need to do: