Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Italian Rustic Easter "Ham" Pie AKA Vegan Pizzagaina



I wanted to get this recipe posted as soon as possible since, as you all know, I am pregnant and the baby is expected to be delivered by the stork around Easter. And this is an Italian Easter-time recipe. This will give you plenty of time to plan to make this for your holiday meal.



Growing up, this traditional Italian Easter-time recipe is one that my grandparents and parents had always made in the non-vegan version. I wanted to make a vegan version to have in my family and have something special that we can look forward to this time of year. My husband and I have a tradition of eating a vegan version of an Irish dish that he grew up with, so it will be nice to include an Italian dish for Easter and have both traditions for our child to enjoy both sides of her heritage. For dessert, we always decide on something new to make together each year. Sometimes it is an "ice cream" pie, cupcakes, or a cake. Depending on how much time that we have this year, we may just buy a vegan cake from the bakery. So here is my take on the Italian Easter "Ham" Pie, aka Pizzagaina! I hope you enjoy this with good health and good company!



Italian Rustic Easter "Ham" Pie also known as Vegan Pizzagaina

What you will need:

  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup vegan buttery spread (I used Earth Balance)
  • 1/2 cup warm water
  • 1 lb silken tofu
  • 2 Tofurky sausages, diced
  • 5.5 ounce package deli "ham" slices, diced (dice the chunk right out of the package, do not separate slices)
  • Half of 5.5 ounce package Tofurky bologna syle slices, diced (dice the chunk right out of the package, do not separate slices)
  • 1 cup Daiya mozarella style shreds
  • 1/4 cup Daiya cheddar cheese wedge, chopped
  • 1/4 cup Daiya jack cheese wedge, chopped
  • 1/4 cup Daiya havarti cheese wedge, chopped

What you will need to do:

Preheat oven 400 degrees. Make crust dough by kneading together flour, buttery spread, and warm water and let dough rest. Smooth silken tofu in a blender and pour into a large mixing bowl, then add the remainder of the ingredients and mix it all together. Press dough into a 9x13 inch pan then spread your cheese and "meat" mixture on top in an even layer (if you want dough for the top to encase the entire pie, double the dough recipe, otherwise this is the version with just crust on the bottom and sides). Bake covered for 20 minutes, then lower heat to 350 degrees and bake for 45 more minutes, uncovering pie for the last 15 minutes. Let pie cool for at least 2 hours before cutting into squares. Traditionally, this is served cold, however it is tasty still a little warm after a couple hours of cooling. Enjoy!



This is so close to the real thing that it is scary! If you have ever had pizzagaina, please let me know what you think of this recipe.

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to Arizona to spend Easter with my family (a bunch of non-vegan fairly closed minded carnivores) and I plan to make this...to sit alongside an actual ham. I just hope I can rent out some oven space from my sister :)

    ReplyDelete