Saturday, April 9, 2011

Spring/ Easter Green Bean Casserole - Reader Requested!

"Spring is nature's way of saying, "Let's Party!" -Robin Williams



I haven't had green been casserole in a very long time, way before becoming vegan, probably 10 years ago or more. When a reader asked me to veganize this comforting holiday classic, I jumped at the opportunity to help so she can make this casserole for her family this upcoming Easter holiday. The challenge was not how to make the entire dish vegan, the only real snag was the cream of mushroom soup that is traditionally in this dish. So after researching this soup, I came up with a mega-easy substitute. This was a fun dish to veganize and I think I totally nailed the taste of cream of mushroom soup. The creaminess paired with the crispy onions on top, make this the perfect cozy bake! I hope you enjoy this casserole in good health, with your family and friends!

You Might Hop Like a Bunny When You Try My 'Creamy Holiday Green Bean Casserole' Recipe


4 oz can mushrooms (pieces & stems), drained
1 tbsp vegan butter
1/2 cup vegan (heavy) cream, I used MimicCreme - you can use any vegan cream(er) and add flour or mashed potatoes to thicken it up
1/4 cup water
1 bouillon cube, I used Edward & Sons Not-chicken
sprinkle of dried thyme
sprinkle of ground pepper
2 14.5oz cans cut green beans, drained
1/4 cup vegan milk
1 1/3 cup french fried onions (French's and my store brand are vegan - I got the store brand b/c it was cheaper), divided into two 2/3 cups


Preheat oven 350 degrees. Blend first 7 ingredients in a blender or food processor and set aside (that is your cream of mushroom soup). In a casserole dish (about 1.5 qt size), mix green beans, cream of mushroom mixture, vegan milk, and 2/3 of your french fried onions. Bake for 30 minutes. It should be nice and bubbly at that point. Then carefully mix casserole and top with the remaining 2/3 cup of french fried onions. Bake another 5 minutes or until top of casserole is golden. Enjoy!


What other dishes would you like to see me veganize? What were some of your favorites? Tell me here or on Facebook, Twitter, or e-mail me at: thedirtyvegan.blogspot@gmail.com. Have a rich and cozy day! 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much! This was always one of my favorites! :)

    ReplyDelete